Dear Race Director

I'd like to warn you that TG hates mornings. Having to get up early for the third day in a row has made her very grumpy. She has tried to run but can't seem to find the "gas" in her legs nor the motivation.

I will continue to be me chirpy rubbery self and perhaps she might have a little run.


...And on the 3rd day, TG realised she was not a superhuman as her body and head felt tired. She and Rec decided it would be best to enjoy the sunny break in the clouds and not push oneself. Both were happy to see the canal again especially Rec as he did not like the sharp corners he had to get round on the lake loop. With the better day, the canal was busier than the rain drenched first day.

Soon the rest of the runners would catch up with TG, but for the first time she was not bothered to see if she how far she could get before they did catch up. Instead TG took this opportunity to stop and chat to people about sustainability and the environment.
Steve, a canal boat owner, invited TG in for a cup of tea to talk about the eco-forest he and his wife Jackie wanted to do once they sold their boat. They dreamed of a tree house and a children's camp site for kids to learn about the forest food and building craft. The canal boat's seeping warmth and wafting smell of toast nearly pulled TG in. However Rec was feeling nervous about the 2 dogs that were hanging about him and nudged TG on.
The day soon turned and the sky darkened to a dreary gloom. TG needed to push on and found the motivation to do a run walk. Alas her earlier lag meant she would still be pelted by a little hail and rain. Fortunately, she was able to make it into the 3 Locks for a little respite as the rain increased in intensity.

TG soon found more motivation and by the end would have run about 10% of the route, a big drop from her first 2 days. She completed in 8:45:58

Hopefully day 4 will prove to be a better day after today's rest day!

Thank you to everyone who donated and to the Milton Keynes supporters/runners at Tescos :-)

Author's note: C.B.A = Can't Be Arsed

A bright morning start!
The last time I did laps was for an ultra trail marathon. I didn't take a tyre at the time due to the rockiness and tree roots that the route had. Instead me and a buddy ran one lap, skipped the next, went backwards the next, etc. The style of each lap kept us both fully occupied.

This time no silliness - just me and Rec to learn Italian. I wish you could all hear this Italian lesson. I was so bored with it that after one lap had to put the MP3 away before it made me fall asleep. I can now order coffee with milk and a bottle of red wine after an hour of listening to it! My first lap was slow and wonder if that has anything to do with what my mind was occupied with.

Oh well Rec was singing away to himself and I decided to join him with some power ballards and a beetles song or two. There were time improvements on the 2nd and 3rd laps. 4th lap we began to struggle with a song to sing. Think we were both getting bored with our own voices.....So for all you readers, here's a song from the Beetles...

The Caldecotte Arms teasing!
By the 5th lap and with the drier tarmac path, Rec had slowed down. He was grumbling about the bits biting into his tread so I called him a drag! I know I shouldn't have but that's what happens sometimes when tyre and puller spend too much time with each other. I don't think he liked my rendition of the song either....

"Yesterday - Rec was such an easy tyre to play,
Now it looks as though he's sulking away,
Oh I believe in Yesterday"

So Rec sulked and the last 2 laps were really hard going. We only ran about 40% of the route, compared with day 1 when we ran about 50-60%.

Time completed in: 8:07:39

Thank you for the kind donations from the 60 and 80 year old couples. Your donations will be going to Earthwatch. Thank you also to all the runners for your constant support, the fantastic deputy race director Sam B-Lass and the chocolate lady Rach E :-)

The Weather
It was a great day for pulling a tyre. A constant to medium drizzle, complete with cloudy skies. Both Rec and TG (Tyre Girl) were both happy, although had been praying the week before for snow and a little ice!

Tyre Rec
Rec was not given much pre-race attention. He looked rough and was rather disappointed that TG hadn't given him much of a spruce up beforehand. He felt he was looking a little uncool and whilst in the boot of the car, had been trying to persuade the spare car tyre to take his place!

Tyre Girl (TG)
For the last 2 weeks, TG had been rushing round the country with work. She did not think rushing from Scotland to Bedfordshire the night before would take it out of her. She looked rough, however is apologetic to Rec for not preparing beforehand, as she knew 2 months before they'd be doing the event!

At this moment in time, TG would have preferred to be snug in her bed. Her head was a mushroom of "blurness" every day of the Quadzilla.

Foxy Davy
The Event
Rec: Foxy Davy (FD), the organiser, was bright, bouncy and sparky. He briefed TG on the route. I, Rec, do not believe she really understood a word of what he had said as her brain was still in la-la land. But she nodded as if she had taken it all in.
TG: Well it's only physical, I don't have to use my head to move my legs!
FD: Right guys am flagging you off. Get ready.....5...4...3...2...1
TG: Hips forward, lean and let's go....

The Canal!
Rec slid and glided along the rain lubricated tow path. The gravel pathway felt smooth, and didn't feel like it was biting into his rubber. He shimmied round the lake and as TG and Rec completed their first lap, Foxsake overtook waving them off as they diverted towards the canal route.

Rec: Except TG somehow managed to go off course. So she unhooked me and left me by some gate, whilst she checked into a garden centre.
TG: Sorry guys, had to ask for directions....I forgot what FD said and the route description was not matching up with the surrounding area. But no worries, the man inside has said we're at the bottom of Fenton Stratton or something and only remember the first bit of what he said. I'll wing the rest of the route.

And sure enough, after asking 2 more guys, they were soon back on the canal just after the Red Lion pub.

TG seemed strong, but as the rain continued to drizzle TG's skin did not agree with staying damp for so long. Soon eczema broke out on TG's neck, back and arms.  She tried to resist, tried to think of positive things, tried to concentrate purely on leaning and pulling her legs but the itch became too great and she clawed her skin for about 6 miles.
Heading towards 3 Locks
As she came in close to the Three Locks pub she finally sorted out her clothing, alas too late. The damage had been done; her arms and neck were raw and stinging. Unfortunately like a post-hayfever attack, a post-eczema attack left TG feeling drained and wanting to sleep.

The Grove Lock/Pub
TG now feeling weary, struggled onwards to The Grove Lock/Pub. Fortunately Lady Marion (LM) was waiting at this turn around point, armed with jelly babies. A short positive natter with LM provided the rest that TG needed and a shot of life returned to TG. She soon found herself able to do a slow jog back to Tescos and then a run/walk back to the Lakes. Finishing in 7:14:50 - a new tyre record!

The weather, although great for ducks as well as for tyre pulling, is not kind to shoes and feet over long distances. Some water seeped into TG's shoes, however, fortunately only one blister formed at the bottom of TG's big toe that had to be ignored for the duration of the day. In the evening TG lanced the blister, unfortunately it reappeared on days 2 and 3 until she cut part of the skin off! Day 4 - no pain.